Monday, January 12, 2009

Facebook and Chicken Soup

I’ve not been great about updating my blog lately, for which I was gently chided at home the other night, having not yet posted in the new year. Part of my laziness has been a complete oversaturation (and overnauseation) with all this Blagojevich nonsense, as well as a general malaise about the fact that nothing I ever say or do about anything will amount to a hill of extra-dark roast coffee beans.

But another part of the reason, I suppose, is that in the past couple months I’ve become enamored with Facebook, the online social networking site, for those of you who have been living under several rocks. I’m finding myself logging in, checking others’ status updates, updating my own status, uploading photos, playing whatever mind-numbing games happen to strike my fancy at the time, and making snarky comments about things my friends say, do and post.

Friends. That’s what Facebook is all about. You find people you know, add them as friends, they add you back, you look at their friend lists, find other people you know or remember from high school, grade school, the nursery at the hospital where you were born, or even in the premortal existence, add them, and voila—you have a social network: a group of friends. At least that’s what Facebook calls them.

I point to an article that was in the Chicago Tribune recently, one that was “posted” on Facebook by a couple of my “friends.” (I use quotation marks around the word friends, not because the people that posted it aren’t friends, per se, but because they’re in my social network of people that I added on Facebook). You can read the article yourself, but I quote the last few paragraphs here:


"And I wonder about the younger generations who are growing up intravenously connected to these networks. What happens as online nomenclature is woven into offline life? Will people be able to distinguish between a Facebook friend and one who will bring them chicken soup when they're sick? What will that mean for the way our society interacts—or doesn't—in the future?

The people I remain connected to through force of will are there to stay. Just because a friend from grade school and I could find each other's profiles and enjoy reconnecting for a brief moment in time doesn't mean there's anything more to be shared.

More than likely, we would occasionally check out each other's profiles, send off the hollow "Happy Birthday" when the system tells us to, and find ourselves no closer than before we encountered each other in cyberspace.

Convenient, yes, but hardly the kind of effort that yields real friendship."

A couple comments that I’ve read about this article seem to indicate the attitude that anyone who holds this kind of opinion is just kind of a “get-off-my-lawn” square who doesn’t understand the way people interact today. Being one that gets irked at people (younger than me, mostly—yeah, you, get off my lawn!) who are constantly tappity-tapping away on their cell phones sending text messages to people, I instinctively agreed with the article. So I ended up going into the whole Facebook thing rather slowly.

But once I got the hang of it, found a few “friends,” played a few games, uploaded a few pictures, shared a few memories, wow, I jumped in with both feet. I talked with people I hadn’t seen since high school graduation, since living with in the same dorms at college, since my old life in radio, people I’d spent the bulk of my summers with since I was four. It was fantastic! I had people add me that I didn’t think I was cool enough to have been friends with. They added me! My friend list exploded exponentially. I was popular!!

Or so it seemed.

I started to think about all the people that I was “friends” with, and whom, if anybody, I considered to be true chicken-soup-delivering friends. Then, one picture somebody posted really hit home with me. It was of a bunch of guys that I knew, posing for a snapshot at somebody’s house before some life-alteringly important high school dance. I had been involved with almost every single one of them in some sport or activity—most, I had played football with. And when you spray snot and sweat on each other and stink up locker room bathroom stalls together, you tend to get fairly friendly.

But I wasn’t in that picture. A group of about 15 guys that I knew fairly well for a number of years, and I hadn’t been invited to the party. Some were guys that I didn’t even think were part of that football-playing, cheerleader-dating group, but there they were. I was upset—20 goddamn years later—because I thought I belonged there. I was surprised that it affected me that much. Then I realized why.

You see, it served as a stark confirmation of a suspicion that I’ve always had—that those people weren’t really my friends. In my mind, if I were really considered a friend, somebody would have thought, ‘hey, let’s call Fata,’ especially in a group that big, somebody would (should?) have thought of me. I thought I was pretty popular then, as I was in a colossal number of different activities and sports, from football to French Club. But in subsequent years, I realized I really wasn’t actually popular, due, I guess, to the fact that I was in so many different groups, I didn’t belong to one of them. And that picture jolted me back to reality, shattering my illusion of newfound popularity. I didn’t get any more popular simply because a few people said they were glad to “see” me on Facebook 20 years later.

I make no secret of my rejection issues—my whole life, I’ve always felt like I’m on the outside of something or other looking in. (It’s why I can’t stand to be late—I’m afraid I’m not important enough for people to not start without or not leave behind). And Facebook forcing me to call these people “friends” reminded me of that.

The truth is, they were—and are now—acquaintances. I wasn’t invited to a little pre-dance party 20 years ago with people I thought I was kind of close with—what makes me think any of them would bring me chicken soup if I were sick, even if I lived close enough? Who would buy me several thousand beers and listen to me spill my guts if I were going through a rough time? Who would help me move? Who would give me a ride to or from an airport at 4 a.m.?

Who among them would I have told that our unborn son died in utero last year?

I have two people on my “friends” list I’ve never even met! One guy’s a news anchor in Peoria who added me for some reason, and another is a guy in Maryland or Delaware whose name I’ve never even heard before. But I accepted his friend request because, hey, he’s got something to do with something I’m interested in career-wise, I think. Pretty lame, huh? Think he’d pick me up at the airport if I ever flew out east?

That’s not to say Facebook is evil for making me call these people “friends.” I’m genuinely glad to have reconnected with all of them. And I’ve actually found a couple surprise actual friendships, based on similar interests, memories and post-school life events, so that’s been really great. But I wish there was some sort of option to post things for everybody to see, and then an option to post things you only want your real, live, in-the-now, actual friends to see. There is the option to make friends lists, to categorize people by how you know them: high school, college, work, church, etc. So there’s one list that I’ve got labeled “inside”—as in inside my inner circle. It’s not a very populous list. If you have to ask if you're on it, that should give you your answer.

Since Facebook is forcing me to call everybody “friends,” instead of acquaintances, I think as my own little nod to the importance of the “inside”-ers, I’ll change the name of that particular list to that which a true friend would deliver in a time of need:

Chicken Soup.

Postscript: If you read the article on the Tribune site, you’ll notice there is no byline. There is only an e-mail link to the author at the bottom. How do you e-mail chicken soup?

Post postscript: Wow, this entry became a lot more about me than about Facebook. Sorry. I could go on and on about my views on friendship, what kind of relationship might qualify as friendship and why, but I think I'll save that for another day, if at all.

14 comments:

Kerri said...

I read that article, too. I am always amused by people who look down their noses at others with whom they have nothing in common. Just because you don't "get it" or enjoy something, doesn't mean that it's not an important part of someone else's life. But that is not the point.

You and I are in the same boat with the school activities. As someone who mailed out 15 Christmas cards, but has 162 Facebook friends, I know exactly what you mean. I have found people that I went to school with for close to 10 years, but completely lost touch with because we went to different colleges, worked in different jobs, had children or didn't, were involved in relationships or not, etc. I love to catch up on what these people have been doing for the last 15+ years. I am happy to share the fact that I have an adorable, wonderful daughter (bragging? you bet!), toss a little humor here and there, and in general have a little fun.

Then there is my voyeuristic side which cannot get enough of the status updates, photos, wall comments, etc. I have found myself checking if I have any notifications on my phone in the middle of the night when I get up to pee! What the hell?

I am, however, thoroughly grateful for the few "real" connections I have made with old friends that I believe will last outside of cyberspace, but are enhanced by it, because I am too damn lazy to write an actual letter and mail it, or too worried about bugging someone in the middle of something important with a phone call. I probably would not have reconnected with these people if it weren't for sites like Facebook.

And, just so you know, if you needed soup, I'd be there in the 2 hours it takes to drive there. :)

Anonymous said...

I would bring you soup AND even some of that life altering veggie relish! Mmmm I have you at salivation don't I!!!!Can't wait for summer! You are ON the top of the delivery list and that is because you are one of my chicken noodle soup friends!!

Thanks for this post. I have thought alot about this too and have felt some similar feelings. On one side I see how many "friends" I have but just how many would bring me chicken noodle soup! You better at least just by virtue of your family dangit!

Unknown said...

This is a really great blog Craig. And I want to respond more thoroughly but I have to get going. For now though, I did want to mention that there is a way on FB to pick and choose who sees what. You can make a list of people and then in the settings block them from seeing any part of your profile that you would like. I'll BBL with a more intellectual response. :)

corn fed girl said...

What's with chicken noodle soup? I make a mean green split pea soup...but since you are a chicken soup snob....no soup for you!
Facebook can't live a healthy life w/ it, can't live a crappy life w/o it!

Unknown said...

I honestly thought that what you might be blogging in regards to this based on your comment when I posted the article would be dramatically different from what it is.

I think you are mostly right on as far as all the "long lost friends" from back in the day. In the sense that you have talked about specifically, yeah, FB is sometimes a big reminder that high school never ends. You fall right back into that same category you were in, whatever that may be, or like many of us, in limbo wondering where did you ever fit in anyway?

In FB world, just like in high school, there are "friends" that are real and those that are really not. There are people that have added you because they are genuinely glad to see you and have the ability to reconnect and there are those that are maybe just upping the count on their friend list or adding you just because they want to satisfy a curiosity. I can say I've done both. I think we all have.

You made the comment to me about all this just being words on a computer screen. In many cases, it is. But with the bad comes good. There is an opportunity that exists here to stay in touch or reconnect with those people that really matter. There are people here that are more than just words. I can see that you recognize that and I am glad you're not ready to inactivate your account. I'll gladly take the good with the bad in FB world because there are a number of people that over the years at times something would remind me of a really fond memory and I would often stop and think that I would really like to know where so and so is and hope they are doing well. You're on that list. I told you about that with the INXS songs. And many others are on that list as well.

As you might be able to tell from the amount of accumulated crap on my profile, I've been on FB much longer than this recent influx of TRHS alumni. I used it to stay in contact with a group of gals that I happened to meet in the cyberworld. (I can hear your eyes roll back in your head about now) These relationships started out just like you said- just words on a computer screen. Originally, it was much like this recent slew of activity with all the old Dolton crowd that is happening now- there were a bunch a people. Over time, just like the story of the Velveteen Rabbit, it became real, but not with everyone. Out of maybe 30 people, I ended up with a small handfull of the best girlfriends that a person could ask for- people that I can share the good and the bad with; People that despite geographical distance have made the effort to get together for dinner, a drink, a girl's weekend, etc; People that were there for me when we lost our twins. Hell, some of these people have made more of an effort than "friends" I have known most of my life that don't even bother to call when they're in my neighborhood and say "let's get together."

The phenomena that is happening right now with everyone joining up and adding each other will eventually die down and just like in the story of the Velveteen Rabbit, in time, not all at once, it will become clear what is real.

Marty said...

Wow Craig! When I bugged you about updating the blog I didn't expect this!
You put into words exactly what many of us have experienced with this new form of communication. "Why should I be your friend now, you weren't a friend to me back then?"
It's amazing how those old feelings still run very deep, and resurface at the glimpse of a posted picture. It makes us wonder have we really changed all that much or are we still the same individuals in the same social groups as 20 years ago? Am I still the weird, awkward, brainy, church obsessed band geek who had no money, wore hand me downs, and was never popular? Actually yes, but now at 36 I'm okay with it. But do I want people I haven't seen since I crossed the stage at the end of HS to remind me of that? I'm not so sure. Do I want to act like the way folks treated me and others in high school didn't matter? I don't know. Did I expect all of this would come out when I joined facebook? Not at all!
So, now after reading your blog, and dealing with all that baggage I've surpressed for 18 years I'm thinking, "Whoa. Pretty intense stuff. Who needs therapy? We have facebook and blogs to process our deep seated emotional hangups! Thanks!"

Yet, I am also thankful for the ways I've been able to catch up on the lives of several folks I have thought about over the years, but with whom I lost connections. I was never remotely good at being a pen pal. And I barely have time to visit family, let alone friends from seminary, college, high school, or earlier. But this enables me to read about and "talk" with people that I genuinely cared about, to hear about their lives, to find out where they are, and what they are dealing with. I didn't know until your very raw and moving post at the end of 2008 what you and Andie went through last year. I wouldn't have reconnected with you or so many others without facebook. So I'll take the superficial "friendships" with those real friends from years gone by. If it means I get to write once again to those friends I passed notes to in the halls of Dirksen and Ridge, I'll put up with all that emotional crap once again. It's worth it!

Thanks for sharing.

Unknown said...

Oh, and if you feel like dumping anyone here you go:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/entertainment/dining/chi-talk-burgerkingjan13,0,2485064.story

hahahaha

necrodancer said...

I'd walk 2000 miles to deliver your soup...

I haven't climbed aboard the Facebook wagon. My, there are a lot of people who've asked me why. I don't have an answer.

I enjoyed reading your thoughts, though. My kids are all part of the Facebook world and I know a lot of people are enjoying it.

Craig F said...

I'm really touched by the volume and depth of the comments that have been left. I will respond individually to each of you, I promise. But I just want to say thank you for letting me touch you. Not in that way, you perv.

Marty said...

touching???
Hand check!

Ahhh. . . the memories of bus rides home after track and field practice.

Craig F said...

Hand check...hadn't thought about that in years! I remember that we'd each hold up one hand...

Unknown said...

I don't even want to know about the other hand. LOL

Hank said...

A lot to thinks about Craig. Thanks for the Blog. I will have to keep up with it.

Craig F said...

Thanks for joining, Hank!