Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Quiet, Please

I wrote just a few weeks ago about how I've fallen off on my blog writing. I started out last fall completely gung-ho, wanting to share my thoughts and ideas with the world, to encourage conversation on meaningful topics, and to occasionally offer a humorous glance at the truly absurd and those overly serious-types that need a little tweak now and then.

But since the new year started, which happened on or about January 1st, I've really struggled with my motivation to write. And I couldn't pinpoint why.

However, in the solitude of the car over the past couple days, I think I've come to terms with why I don't want to engage on any topics: there's just too much noise.

You see, the nature of the world today is such that people more than ever seem to think they're entitled to hammer others with their opinions, convinced that only their opinions are the right ones. And more often than not, people are so zealously sharing their convictions, their rhetoric ends up coming out in derisive, divisive, hateful sound bites, either vocally or in print. The worst part about it is that it's usually loud, both in actual decibel level and in hyperbolic excess, so much so that they can't hear or understand anyone else's position over the noise, especially when done from behind the anonymity of the internet.

What's even more criminal is that when people get to that point, they don't want to see if there's some middle ground out there, because the position--or the person--they're arguing against must be completely idiotic for having that opposite opinion.

Don't believe me? Check any online edition of any newspaper that offers a reader comment section. Then, find a story about politics, either local or national. Then, scroll down and read the comments from readers. There are usually a couple thoughtful remarks, but a lot of the time, it ends up degenerating into truly mean-spirited partisanship. If you really don't believe me, I point you to an online story in today's Bloomington (Illinois) Pantagraph, about the new federal tobacco tax that is going to be taking effect.

You'll have to trust me when I say this particular set of comments is actually pretty civil, based on what usually gets said. I've perused some other papers' websites and this kind of "discourse" is pretty much par for the course.

Turn on FOX News, or FOX Nation, or whatever they're calling themselves this week. Turn on MSNBC. Turn on Nancy Grace. Turn on Rush Limbaugh or Keith Olbermann. Read Ann Coulter. Turn on any program that features any of the spin doctors talking about any issue. They're all convinced that they're right and that not only is the rest of the world wrong, but that everyone else int he world are complete idiots. Granted, they (usually) don't come right out and say it, but the implication is there. They so tightly and blindly hang onto old ideologies that they can't see anything but the glow of their own auras in front of them. (I hold up Karl Rove as an example, who was smugly asking the other night what would be wrong with GM or AIG failing. I thought to myself, "Self, I wonder what he would be thinking if he were suddenly out of work, and found out that his 401(k) had been raided, and that the CEO of the company he just got laid off from got a $20 million golden parachute. I wonder if he'd be abstaining from collecting unemployment on principle. I wonder if he'd be standing there during the foreclosure proceedings on his house, thinking, 'Gosh, the system works. I deserve this for not saving more and investing better, for not getting a better degree, getting into a more secure job in a more secure field.'" He just doesn't consider the possibility that there might be a reason for a different opinion, other than idiocy.)

The last straw came as I was driving around for work the other day, some people on the radio on some talk show were expressing outrage over some topic. And it happened that I agreed with them, but, suddenly, I just couldn't take it anymore. I couldn't take the polarization. I couldn't take the divisiveness. I couldn't take that there was merely a decent prospect and not a 100% chance of returning back to a dull roar, let alone a normal conversation. I wanted quiet and I wanted peace. I wanted--I want--everyone to stop screaming at each other. And, to put on my Veruca Salt tights, I want it now.

(You might say, no, idiot, you're overreacting. People aren't screaming at each other, they're just having a vigorous, yet civil exchange of ideas. I would disagree. I've been involved in vigorous, yet civil exchanges of ideas [right, Mikey?], and the garbage that takes place in the aforementioned forums is not in the same area code as civil.)

So instead of just railing about something without offering an alternative, as so many bloggers/posters/politicians like to do, I propose the following:

I think everybody should listen to more classical music.

In fact, I instituted that rule in my house a few weeks ago when my kids had been on a streak of being truly awful for an unusually long period of time. No Hannah Montana, no High School Musical, no Jonas Brothers, not even Delilah on Magic 100.7 when they go to bed at night. In the car, whenever we're all together, during dinner, only classical music is allowed. The television is also off limits, at least for the kids, unless special permission has been granted. I'm trying to promote an atmosphere that's more harmonious, one that's calmer, more polite, more civil, more peaceful. One that's less Blagojevich. In other words, can't we all just get along?

I think the wonder that is classical music can help effect that change not only in my own home and my own attitude, but in this 24/7 battle for ideological supremacy.

I guess what I'm saying is, I don't know what this ultimately means for my blogging. None of the discussion here has been the slightest bit contentious--every comment, every respondent, has been thoughtful, insightful, intelligent and respectful of others' opinions. If the whole world would function like that, I think I'd remain more engaged. I think most people would become more engaged. But to be constantly bombarded with the implication that you're an idiot not only by experts, but by John Q. Anonymous as well, has to be extremely daunting. I don't want to disengage completely; I just want people to be engaged more civilly--and to quote, ugh, Michael Jackson--I'm starting with the man in the mirror.

Maybe more Mozart and less Limbaugh* could start that. Who's with me?

* I use "Limbaugh" only for its alliterative value--I could just as easily have said "Olbermann" here. They are both complete blowholes--read nothing into the fact I picked the conservative one.

5 comments:

necrodancer said...

I'm a true believer in the "when life gets totally overwhelming crank the Mozart until you feel better" philosophy. Yep, that stuff really works. Of course Hayden, Beethoven, Mussorgsky and a few others work just as well. There's a genre that truly raises the spirits. In fact, I consider some of the more rousing rock-n-roll to be more comparable to sugar, giving a sudden jolt but letting you down hard when the sugar wears off. Classical music has a far more even distribution of energy that is less like sugar and a lot more like wholegrain goodness paired up with some very sweet peaches (or insert your favorite fruit here).

Too much noise. Yes, you have hit the nail square on the head.

Craig F said...

I like your analogy between classical music and wholegrain goodness, whilst other music (you pointed out rock, but, ugh, what about pop/hip-hop, etc??) is akin to a Snickers bar. I might have to do a little something on that...if I can steal the idea!

necrodancer said...

Run with it, friend.

Unknown said...

Craig this is a great blog and I am so glad you are writing again.

I told you in your last blog that I had to "turn off Fox News." I do agree with you. It has gotten to the point that many people are just "yelling" at each other and not listening to what is being said. Maybe that is a product of the economic crisis since so many people are feeling desperate or maybe it's our readily available internet medium which lets anyone easily spew forth their thoughts. Who knows?

Recently I have seriously limited the number of people I am willing to even engage on a political topic, not so much to only those who think like but just to those that I know can take it slow, engage in something meaningful, and we can both walk away perhaps learning something from one another.

I joke a lot and use a lot of sarcasm regarding politics, but believe it or not I do pride myself in doing my best to see issues from all angles and appreciate a good two-sided conversation.

I completely agree that sometimes there is just a need to "turn it all off" and go enjoy life. I also believe though, that we have to be careful not to become complacent and tune it all out for too long. When that happens we end up with the Blagos and Ryans that get away with too much for tooo long at the expense of everyone.

Keep writing Craig. You have much of value to say and really do have a way with words. I'll even give you a huge compliment- you know Kass is one of my favorites and I have to tell you that much of your work beats his.

So now you have my opinion and noise :p Have a good day!!! :)

Hank said...

Craig, you are an idiot. You are soooooo far off base I can't stand it.


Sorry the intelligent posterior in me just had to say that.


:^)