Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Single Issue Voters - one from the archive

Single Issue Voters

Originally written May 4, 2007

I don’t profess to belong to either major political party, so until candidates are set for the general elections, I usually don’t much follow what goes on until the races are down to one candidate from each of the parties. That being said, I was reading an account of the first Republican presidential debate at the Reagan Library, which, presumably, took place between the stacks of “How Ronnie Whipped the Russkies” and “Jellybean Quarterly,” and I noticed a particular statement from one of the candidates had been called out and set apart as one of the “quotables” from the event.

The statement was from 61-year old Colorado Congressman Tom Tancredo, who, if you do the math, has been around for a few notable events in the recent history of the planet. But I’m getting slightly ahead of myself.

Tancredo said, in regard to the 1972 Roe v. Wade decision legalizing abortion, “That would be the greatest day in this country’s history when (it) is overturned.”

Pardon me?

The “greatest day in this country’s history”? Regardless of where you stand on the issue of abortion, calling the overturn of Roe v. Wade “the greatest day in this country’s history” is laughable, at best, and horrifying, at worst. At the very least, it shows how much ignorance and hyperbole can be exhibited by the single-issue voter.

I’m going to give myself about thirty seconds, give or take a few, depending on how fast I can type, to come up with just ten days that are better than a potential day on which Roe v. Wade might be overturned. I’ll even include the event that happened on that day, so those losing contestants on “Are You Smarter Than a Fifth Grader” don’t have to get out their encyclopediae.

In no particular order: July 4, 1776 (duh); June 6, 1944 (D-day); July 1, 1969 (Armstrong walks on moon); February 22, 1980 ("Do you believe in miracles? YES!"); January 1, 1863 (Emancipation Proclamation issued); August 18, 1920 (19th Amendment - Women's right to vote - ratified); September 12, 2001; January 20, 1981 (Iran Hostages released); April 30, 1789 (Washington’s Inauguration); December 15, 1791 (Ratification of the Bill of Rights). December 5, 1933 (repeal of Prohibition) just narrowly missed the list. Sorry.

Where would Roe v. Wade appear on that, or any list, of this country’s great days? Well, I suppose that would be where you stand on the issue. However, I would argue that even if you’re on the farthest feather of the rightest wing, such an event might not even crack the top 100. It might rank among the top political achievements ever (and, again, regardless of where you stand, it would indeed be quite the political achievement), but to include it as part of the list of this country’s greatest days would be a travesty.

And so I return to the idea of the single-issue voter—or candidate for that matter. Usually, these folks represent a pretty narrow interest; I’d call someone whose main criteria to support a candidate is his or her position on saving the spotted owl (tasty with a light brushing of oil and oregano, by the way) a “single-issue voter.” I wouldn’t call someone whose main interest lies with national security by the same moniker.

These kinds of voters and candidates scare me. I might be in favor of gay marriage, as an example, but I’m not going to vote for a candidate who supports such a position, but also thinks we should disband the army and only allow rich white men to vote. But there are people who vote like that. And Congressman Tancredo’s statement is an example of the rallying cry for those kinds of people. My question is, if he gets elected (which is highly unlikely) and he gets Roe v. Wade overturned, what would he do next?

Would he have the chops—or the interest—to take on other issues? Or would he sit back, put his feet up on the desk of the Oval Office and say, well, we accomplished the Greatest Thing Ever for this country, so there’s really nothing else to do, because everything else is comparatively minor?

You know, just like the Abraham Lincoln did after he signed the Emancipation Proclamation.
I guess what I’m trying to say is to encourage people to keep an open mind to more issues than just the one that’s most important to your own interests. After all, isn’t that the central idea for a democracy? Or have we gotten so red-state/blue-state that now it’s important as to which shade of red or blue we are?

3 comments:

necrodancer said...

Single issue voters, if they really think about their feelings on other issues should not be single issue voters. Honestly, I cannot fathom why anyone would be so gung-ho about a single issue that they would neglect other pressing matters. I tend to believe any politician who would suggest a platform on any single issue is using that issue to raise emotions rather than pursuing a strategy of logic.

Interestingly, I've considered the Right to Choose vs. the Right to Life crowds as being nothing more than a way to divide the country in a discussion that helps the candidates avoid speaking on more important topics.

Yes, I believe most politicians consider Abortion to be a non-issue if you get beyond the divisive nature of the topic. Little will be changed about this issue in the country as far as anyone can suggest. When I asked a couple close friends about their decisions to consider heavily the stance a politician took on abortion, their answer suggested a very simple way of looking at things. These people considered a politician's stance on abortion to be a bellwether on the politician's stances toward other moral issues.

I'm not certain how appropriate that tactic is. It did, however, suggest that the appearance of single-issue voting was not necessarily single-issue at all.

As a side note, there are a few people who consider Roe v. Wade to be about something totally unrelated to abortion. Can you guess what that might be?

Marty said...

I think I'd add all the days we ended wars! Just a few - Nov 11, 1918 (Armistice Day WWI), May 7-8, 1945 (VE day), August 15/Sept 2, 1945 (VJ day), July 27, 1953 (Armistice signed for Korean War) and on and on.

Craig F said...

I'd agree with you, Mart, but I think then you'd have to include pivotal days of those wars, too, like the relief of Bastogne, etc. I mean, you surely could comprise an entire top 10 of war-turning battles or end-of-war days, or even top 20.