Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Election Night

I sit here wishing I could think more about the events of the night before I posted, but I feel a need to chronicle the moment as it happens--for my own personal record, as much as anything.

I saw at precisely 10:00 Central Standard Time the graphic on CNN's wall:

BARACK OBAMA ELECTED PRESIDENT

I felt like a great, giant weight had been lifted from my chest, like some great darkness passed from the sky, and the sun was finally able to warm my face again. And the tears came.

It was not so much a dislike of John McCain, but it was a fruition of hope; it was a realization of a belief. It was the promise of better days ahead. It was about leaving the last administration in the rear view mirror...quickly.

I saw the crowds cheering in Grant Park in Chicago, in New York City, in Los Angeles, in Atlanta, in Kenya, at the White House and other places around the country and around the world. And I thought to myself, when was the last time, if ever, crowds that large and diverse cheered anything besides a sports championship, let alone an elected official in America?

The crowds featured white Baby Boomers cheering, but were energized thoroughly by the younger set. It was beautiful to see so many younger people that excited about politics and government, likely for the first time ever. Whites and blacks, probably strangers, hugged and exchanged high fives. Jesse Jackson, whom I'm no fan of, who stood on that balcony in Memphis in 1968 as Martin Luther King was gunned down, wept. American flags--not Obama/Biden signs--waved by the thousands. A million people--a million people--are expected in Grant Park tonight.

And then I watched John McCain deliver his concession speech. He confirmed what many have said about him all along, and what I suspected as well: that there is no greater patriot alive. John McCain would have made a great president, of that I have no doubt. Sure, I didn't like his campaign, and I didn't like his running mate, but there can be no question as to the man's love for his country and his desire to do right by it. I hope President-elect Obama takes Senator McCain up on his offer to help in whatever capacity he's able. And I hope that McCain's supporters--not the fucking tools who booed when he mentioned Obama during his speech--and those who voted for him will echo his call to offer their hands as well. I thank John McCain for his service to his country and wish him well in the future, and I sincerely hope he continues to act as an advocate for honest, straight talk in government.

The next president is about to speak. I will wrap up for now.

5 comments:

necrodancer said...

I avoided watching any of the election results last night. Instead, I chose to catch up on some reading. As you know, I lean conservative. I like to think I am independent thinking but I truly lean conservative. On some points, I am very conservative while on others my views could be considered rather liberal. However, taken as a whole, my views definitely lean toward the conservative.

I do, however, consider this day a day of hope and optimism. I see a future that holds great promise. Change is in the air. Positive change is coming our way. No, I've not succumbed to a large dose of Bama flavored cool-aid. I am not embracing the change Democrats believe in. The change I see coming will benefit the country in ways no Democrat may be considering.

You see, the Republicans lost more because of the Republicans than because of the Democrats. Republicans lost their grasp on what it means to be conservative. There are rogues out there but generally speaking, the Republican party has been feeding on the most fowl, fetid and despicable trough of public slop, having lost their vision. Republicans lose when they try to act like an arm of the Democratic Party. They've been spendthrifts willing to put a mortgage against tomorrow's fortunes while trampling on personal liberties in the name of national security.

The Republicans haven't been acting the conservative role. It has been a very long time since there has been a conservative party acting the part of the conservative party. The foundation of the conservative party is based on personal liberties over collective security and small government.

November 4, 2008, was a wake-up call to all the conservatives out there. I am optimistic the conservatives will heed that call. The country will benefit from it far more than it will from the left-leaning agendas of the Democratic Party and the President-elect.

Barak Obama will be my president and I support him. I believe his intentions are genuine. I have hope for a brighter future in spite of the Democratic Party.

Kerri said...

I watched it all. From 6:00 last night until 2:00 this morning I was glued to the internet and television. I had the live Grant Park cam on, watching and waiting. I knew there was very little doubt how the election would end, but I held my breath waiting to see how the night would end.

One of the pages I had open was my Facebook. I never knew how many of my friends cared so deeply, were so dedicated and so respectful, whichever side they were on. I never made my decision public to anyone, not even my own daughter. "Who did you vote for?" was the first thing out of her mouth when I walked in last night. I swear she knows more about the details than I do. She was quoting statistics and timelines that I had never heard before. This, from my struggle-for-average-grades student. Her school did a fantastic job teaching them the ins and outs of this election with an amazing balance. It will be interesting to hear about her day today.

I received an email from one of my aunts yesterday afternoon, telling all about her experiences on this historical day. She told about how she walked to the neighborhood fire department to cast her vote, meeting neighbors along the way, chatting with their children, remembering times past with my uncle who died last year, making new memories that will stay with her forever. It was a touching message and a fitting beginning to an amazing experience.

The speeches given by both candidates were heart-warming. I was disappointed by the reaction of some of the McCain supporters, but there are always a few bad bananas in every bunch. You can't judge an entire group by a few poor sports. I was watching with interest and a little trepidation the many thousands in Grant Park. When I heard about the plans for the festivities at the park, I thought the Obama team was a little nuts; the potential for disaster was HUGE. I was pleasantly surprised that the event was treated not so much as a party, but as a celebration. I am proud of the people of Chicago for the view they gave the world of our little piece of the Earth.

I was instant messaging with a friend in Kansas City while we both watched the events unfold. He is a staunch supporter of now President-Elect Obama. We both sent the same message to each other as Obama ended his speech, "I have tears." Even hours later I still felt a shaky exhilaration as I prepared for bed. I had spent the evening alone, the people I live with having gone to bed many hours before. It was wonderful to be able to share the experience with someone, even hundreds of miles away. He commented how refreshing it was to see the status quo starting to crumble. How long, he wondered, before we have a female president?

So here's to changes, as the times must always change for progress to be made. Let's all hope for the best and come together to watch this, our history, in the making.

necrodancer said...

By the way, I have a hard time with your rating system since it provokes me to call you an idiot when at the most I simply disagree. I'm not so entrenched in my own opinion or feel so highly of my point of view that i am unable to realize others might have a point.

Craig F said...

haha...I know...I won't take offense if you click "you're an idiot"

Unknown said...

I have to tell you I voted McCain and for the first time in a Presidential Election since I have been of voting age, I actually was voting for a candidate that I believed in and not just for what I felt was the lesser of two evils. I admit he certainly was not perfect, but I so admire his patriotism and his fight to do what's right for the country, especially in his fights against his own party.

I was not going to watch President-Elect Obama's speech as I was feeling quite defeated, but ended up staying up anyway and watching and surprisingly being moved to tears. I hope that our next President can fix some of the many things that need to be addressed so quickly in our Nation. And while I still have my reservations about him, I am ever so impressed about the news today that he is considering some of his adversaries for cabinet positions. I think that speaks volumes as to what kind leader he has the potential to be in the next 4 years.