Monday, November 17, 2008

Seen any good movies lately?

It's been a little while since I've posted, so I thought I'd throw something out there that's a little lighter, just for fun. Everything's been so serious lately, with the election, with Prop 8, with the economy and all the other junk going on in the world. We need a little fun, I think.

Please note, this list is not in any particular order. And this isn't a list of the "greatest movies of all time"--just my top ten. There are better movies and more important movies than the ones on this list. I haven't seen Citizen Kane or Schindler's List, for example, so they can't make my top ten. I have, however, seen The Godfather trilogy, and none of them made the list. As an aside, I want to do a stand-up comedy bit on The Godfather someday, because to me, The Godfather is a lot like my first marriage: too long, overrated, and no sex. Funny?

So here is my All-Time Top 10 Movie List:

1. The Incredibles

2. Casablanca

3. Rear Window

4. Planes, Trains and Automobiles

5. Star Wars

6. Patton

7. Saving Private Ryan

8. City Slickers

9. The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance

10. Glory

Just missing out: South Park: Bigger, Longer, and Uncut; Amadeus; Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade; Stargate; My Cousin Vinny. There are others, but I don't want to steal anyone else's thunder. Post away!

Feel free to post your top ten, and any you think I'm wrong about.

7 comments:

Marty said...

Great list! I'd agree with many of your choices. And agree that I can't agree on the ones I haven't seen. My list would have to include The Sound of Music, Toy Story (way to go Disney/Pixar), Mr. Roberts, and The Quiet Man. Just to name a few.

Now when we get to the films that aren't necessarily the greatest but are my favorite to watch over and over again, that will be a different list!

necrodancer said...

Movies, movies, movies... You've a pretty good list here. I think my top ten list changes every time I wake up. I'm pretty fickle that way. I'll be talking with someone about favorite movies and what I think are the best at the beginning of the conversation will be different from those on the list after the conversation is over.

I enjoy the epic movies like Ben Hur and the Ten Commandments. I remember life before cable when The Ten Commandments was as much a part of my Easter Vacation as the Easter Bunny. The Wizard of Oz and the Sound of Music were always high on the list too.

My most quoted movies list would include Office Space and the Princess Bride. On this list would also be Monty Python's Search for the Holy Grail. You don't vote for a king!

Although I tend to think of the movies that gave me cramps from laughing, I also enjoyed the movies that made me think. The Killing Fields and Deer Hunter were very provocative for me. I think these are serious contenders for my top ten, along with Amadeus and Glory. So many movies with so many good points to consider making them appear on a top ten list.

Now, how about the real losers!! I hesitate to admit I sat through some movies start to finish. Some of these bombs weren't worth a thing - not a single redeeming value among the lot of them. A list which includes most movies based on a video game, it is hard to believe studios would have spent the money on any of them. Ishtar ranks on top of this list. Oh, there are certainly worse movies but I didn't spent an evening waiting for any of those to end.

Craig F said...

Oh, on the bottom 10 I would certainly include "Lawnmower Man 2" and "8 Heads in a Duffel Bag."

Unknown said...

I don't think I could ever narrow it down to just 10! What do you have against the Godfather?! Blasphemy! Although, I don't know it would make my top ten, but I love mafia movies.

City Slickers is great! I had forgotten about that one! As was the follow up performance of the late Jack Palance with Billy Crystal on the Oscars when J.P. tells B.C. that she shits bigger than him. Classic.

I think I would have to include The Blues Brothers. And Marty is right, The Quiet Man is excellent.

Craig F said...

I don't necessarily have anything against The Godfather. I just don't think it was that super fantastic. And I've heard great things about The Quiet Man...just never saw it.

necrodancer said...

I like the first Godfather movie. I didn't enjoy any of the sequels nearly as much.

Illifornian said...

Craig I am terribly disappointed that there is not one Barbie Princess movie on your list. Shame, shame, shame.